I was perusing the web and getting my latest news fix. This article managed to raise my blood pressure a bit. The news is what the GOP is pointing out as wasteful spending on the Economic stimulus plan - Senate version. Here are FEW things that makes you say to your self "Self? how is this going to turn around the economy? and "What was that about earmarks again?" Remember folks this is an economic stimulus plan - it shouldn't be a social social programs plan.
(You can get the full read on www.cnn.com or just click the above link)
• $448 million for constructing the Department of Homeland Security headquarters.
• $248 million for furniture at the new Homeland Security headquarters.• $150 million for Smithsonian museum facilities.
• $2 billion earmark to re-start FutureGen, a near-zero emissions coal power plant in Illinois that the Department of Energy defunded last year because it said the project was inefficient.
• $400 million for the Centers for Disease Control to screen and prevent STD's.
• $75 million for "smoking cessation activities."
• A $246 million tax break for Hollywood movie producers to buy motion picture film.
Granted some of the programs will create jobs but lets do it smart OK? PLEASE??
Ok other rant - whats with all of the hotshot politicos who are getting appointed to the cabinet who DONT PAY THEIR FREAKIN INCOME TAXES? Good lord any common folk that would have the sheer audacity to do that would have the IRS just climbing all over them and taking away everything!
Ok enough of the rants. Another reminder that this Friday we are proud to present Atlantic Wave who will be playing the music of Ireland, Scotland and Cape Breton. Doors open at 3pm, tours at 3:30, Food and goodies around 5pm (ish) and music at 8pm. NO COVER!!
Be well all!